Friday, March 4, 2011

A Burger on the Grill



I just couldn't take it any more! My gas grill had been buried under two feet of snow since just after Christmas and just this week I was finally able to get to it to fire it up! I didn't care that it was 18 F degrees with a wind chill of 5...I just had to cook something on an open flame! We normally grill all year long but this year it has been an extra snowy winter and the dogs were lucky we were able to plow them a path out into the yard, never mind digging out everything on the deck! There's still about two feet in the yard, and the snow drifts at the end of our dead end street are still over 5 feet, but the slow thaw has begun! The crocus and daffodil shoots are starting to appear in the raised beds. The birds have been singing their little hearts as well, so it won't be long before I'm complaining about the unending rain... Now I'm rambling, so let's get back to the burgers! No buns needed for these bad boys! I just served them up with some sauteed onions, steak fries, and a salad. They're super easy too! Here's the mix:

Hamburger Steaks with Grilled Onions

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs ground beef (I used 85% lean)
  • 1 tsp seasoning salt (I used Goya Adobo)
  • 1 Tbs liquid marinade (I used KC Masterpiece Steakhouse Marinade)
  • 2 sweet onions, peeled and sliced
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • salt & pepper
Directions:

Mix seasoning salt and marinade into the ground beef. Form into 4 to 6 patties (I made 6) and cook on a pre heated grill until done to your liking. We like ours pretty pink, so I cook then about 7 minutes a side on a medium flame and let them rest for 5 minutes for med rare. If you don't have a grill (or yours is still buried) you can cook these in a skillet on medium high.

Heat oil and butter in a skillet on medium high. Add sliced onions. Season with salt & pepper. Saute for about 12 minutes until they are soft and start to caramelize.

Enjoy!
Christina

9 comments:

  1. looks amazing.. love onions and meat gotta try this with turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me hungry. haha! Love grilled onions on top of any sort of steak, and this look so simple and delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous. I want to grill as well, but for now I will settle for your delicious looking picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooooh that looks so good!!! I have yet to find the courage to go out there and grill.. it's still really cold out here! But, I can't wait to grill up something as good as that burger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even the picture smells good! Thanks for posting the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I'm ready to get my grill out right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im with you on the need to grill. Our gas grill broke last summer and so we've been using the little charcoal Webber. I grilled last weekend just because I needed to. I can't wait for a little spring to get back into using it all of the time (though the charcoal grill does scare the BF... or he's just lazy, haven't figured it out yet).
    Your burger with grilled onions looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! We wanted to inform you that this post has been selected as a Featured Archive Post on our site for the month of May 2014!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina