Sunday, March 27, 2011

Back in the Kitchen! Easy Fritatta



I'm finally off bed rest and my pain meds are down to about a quarter of what I started out with so I felt safe enough to be near knives and fire again. I still can't do any heavy lifting for another month, so I won't be draining any pasta pots anytime soon. I woke up this sunny Sunday morning and nobody else was up yet (well, Garrick headed to work at the restaurant at 7:30, but I knew he wouldn't be here) so I had to fend for myself as far as food goes.

I wasn't quite sure what was left since I haven't been in the kitchen for the last week & a half, but I knew my Mom went shopping for some stuff she thought we needed before she headed back to NY yesterday so I knew there would be something. There was a dozen eggs, a pound of bacon, some assorted shredded cheeses, and some bagels she brought earlier in the week so I thought a fritatta would be a good idea because I didn't have to stand at the stove and watch it like a regular omelet. I baked the bacon in the oven right along with it on a sheet pan so I didn't have to babysit that either. Here's how I made the eggs:

Easy Fritatta

Ingredients:
  • 8 eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 Tbs minced onion
  • 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9" pan or pie plate with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 30 minutes. If your fritatta (like mine...mine always take longer than a recipe says)) isn't set at this point, take it out of the oven re-mix the mixture so the runny stuff isn't all in the middle; crank the oven up to 425 degrees F and bake the eggs an additional 5 minutes. Works every time without drying them out!!!


I served mine with bacon and a toasted, buttered poppy seed bagel YUM!)

I'm glad to be back and hope to enjoy this recipe!
Christina

15 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Glad to hear you are up and recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kind of fritatta! Lots of cheese...so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back in the kitchen - it's such a big step in the healing process to start to do things for yourself again, isn't it? :-) Your breakfast looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good frittata! So simple yet so delicious. Glad you're starting to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fritattas and yours looks amazingly fluffy! Glad you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm fritattas!! They are so good... I love it when it's cheesy ... yours looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christina, hope everything is all right and that you're taking it easy. Just discovered your blog. Great post on your lovely frittata. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christina, I'm so glad you are feeling well enough to blog again. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just met you and read your news - glad to hear you're doing better. Lovely frittata! Sounds comforting, like something to relax with and savor and must have made you feel better too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a wonderful, easy meal to get back in the swing of things with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made a frittata, but this one sounds like the perfect one to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good fritatta! The cheese in yours sounds delicious, and it is nice that it is so simple and yet so good :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really good. I'm relatively new to your blog and don't post often, but I wanted you to know I was here and really enjoy the food and recipes you feature on your site. I always enjoy my visits and you keep me coming back for more. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina