Wednesday, April 6, 2011

White Chocolate Cranberry Granola Bars



I was finally able to start exercising this week since I'm still recovering from surgery. It will be at least a month before I'm back up to my 2 hour dance workout, but it feels good to be up and moving again, even if it's just for a half hour a day. After my workout and shower I'm usually starving and love to have some kind of homemade bars around for a quick, nutritious treat. These granola bars that i found on Allrecipes are a little on the chewy side for my tastes, but they are still good. I'll work on tweaking the recipe so I like it, but in the mean time, here's the original recipe:

White Chocolate Cranberry Granola Bars:

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons reduced fat peanut butter
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon fat-free evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
  • 1/3 cup vanilla or white chips
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts


Directions
In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well.
Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice; add to the sugar mixture.
Stir in the remaining ingredients.
Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Score the surface with shallow cuts, making rectangular bars.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
Cut along score lines.

Enjoy!
Christina

9 comments:

  1. white chocolate and cranberries in granola?!? YES, please!! nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  2. These granola bars look yummy, moist and full of deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo... Must... Make... Now!!! Those look incredible, I love the combo of white chocolate and cranberry, one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make these so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A two hour dance workout sounds like heaven on earth to me right now! And these granola bars look amazing! I am on a white chocolate kick! Mmmmmm :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The granola bars sound fantastic, but then, I like mine chewy. Glad you are up and around again! It's tough to be inactive for a long time when you are used to getting a lot of exercise. Hope you heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. White chocolate and cranberries are an amazing combination :) I love the look of your granola bars! They would be an amazing workout snack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These granola bars look delicious! Cranberries and white chocolate are a good match, and I love that you have added walnuts to these as well, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good, I wonder if I can sub the evaporated milk and egg whites (allergies) I'm going to HAVE to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina