Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Maple Glazed Fresh Ham

All is quiet on New Year's Day,
A world in white gets underway,
And I want to be with you,
Be with you night and day.
Nothing changes on New Year's Day.
~U2



I invited all our friends over for a quiet casual dinner on New Year's Day. All those not too hung over to look at food came by and feasted on several yummy dishes that I spent the day preparing. It was a great way to start the new year!
There were of course plenty of little snacky bits to ease them into the more serious food to come.

And plenty "hair of the dog" and coffee.

And some slightly tamer beverage choices.

So...On to my Maple Glazed Ham. I was going to take the lazy way out and get a spiral sliced ham from the shop, but that was (thankfully) not to be. The grocery stores were packed, it being New Years Eve day and all, and there was only one left in the meat case and it was WAY too big for my small gathering and they wanted nearly $100 for it! I settled on a just over 10 1/2lb fresh ham instead. I am so happy that I did! I woke up New Year's day at around 8am and after a nice cuppa (I like to mix 1/2 coffee and 1/2 hot chocolate) I began scrounging through my kitchen to see what I could do to this ham. I removed the skin and scored the remaining fat and set to finding some ingredients for a dry rub.
I made the rub using:
  • 4tsp Ancho chili powder
  • 1tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • black pepper to taste
I rubbed this all over the ham and set it into my roasting pan.

Now for a glaze...I looked to see what kind of soda we had around (I personally don't drink soda any more, but my husband and sons do) and found caffeine free cola? Nah! Not for a ham...
Root Beer? Yea! That'll do pig, that'll do!
For the glaze, I mixed:
  • 1 cup REAL maple syrup (NOT the fake sugar syrup stuff)
  • 1/2 cup root beer
and poured this over the ham

I placed this already gorgeous piece of meat into a 325 degree oven for about 5 1/2 hours and out came the most amazing ham I've eaten an a long time!















For tonight's dinner, we're reliving it in a whole new way!
I've chopped up some of the ham that I had leftover and mixed it in the crock pot with my favorite baked beans.. We'll enjoy this with some fresh baked cornbread!



I hope you'll give this ham glaze a try! I bet it's be great on a pork roast or even pork chops too!

Christina



Baked Ham on FoodistaBaked Ham

12 comments:

  1. That is a pretty ham. Next time I make one I'll try your glaze. That is a lot of "hair of the dog."

    ReplyDelete
  2. my my my .. your friends are lucky to have ur invitation ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a great ham! My dad hates them (and it seems to only be a major holiday meal) so we rarely get them but every now and then, my step mom sneaks one in. Yours looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ham glaze looks delicious! I love the idea of the spices, root bear and maple syrup. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was one of your friends! It sounds like you welcomed them well! And this maple glazed ham looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I never would have thought to cook with root beer. Don't even know if you can find it here in the UK. Most intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! I wish I could have invited you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well now, aren't YOU creative! I love that idea! I have to get myself a ham and try this! And in baked beans?? YUM! Thank you for sharing this I have to save this recipe and get a ham.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, I am glad you didn't get the spiral-cut too, because this looks phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks amazing! Wish I had a few slices for a sandwich right now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing better than a maple glazed ham. It sounds like you had a wonderful party with your friends. What a great way to ring in the New Year. Thank you for sharing this sweetness! I hope you have a wonderful end of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't do ham very often, but when I do I usually really enjoy it. I'm really eager to try your rub with the chili!! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina