Saturday, April 9, 2011

Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream



Before anything else, I have to give a shout out to my older brother, Greg, down on Long Island in NY who is celebrating his birthday today! Love & miss you bro!

My future daughter in law, Jenn is visiting this weekend from college. She goes to Perdue in Ft Wayne, IN and is taking a breather as she finishes up her senior year in a few weeks and graduates. She heard through the grapevine that we got an ice cream maker and I had to promise to make her some ice cream the next time she was here. One of her most favorite things is cheesecake...strawberry cheesecake to be exact, so I set out to make an ice cream with those flavors. I made sure to have a whole cheesecake and extra homemade strawberry sauce for her too.

Please note that you really should make the strawberry sauce the day before you make the ice cream so that it has enough time to cool and thicken up...I actually did, but not intentionally, so it's a good thing that I just happened to so that I could share this wisdom with you. Here's the recipe:

Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

Ingredients:

Strawberry Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen Strawberries
  • the juice and zest of one lemon
Graham Cracker Mixture:
  • 2 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
Ice Cream:
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant cheesecake or vanilla pudding mix
  • 1 quart heavy whipping cream
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions:

In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
Gradually stir in water until smooth.
Stir in strawberries, lemon zest and lemon juice.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.
Stir in butter.
Pat into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in.x 1-in. baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
Crumble the cooled mixture and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk the ice cream ingredients.
Fill ice cream freezer cylinder; freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

In a large container, layer the ice cream, graham cracker mixture and strawberry sauce three times; swirl. Freeze.

Here is Jenn enjoying her ice cream OVER a piece of cheesecake with extra strawberry sauce!



And here she is with her fiance, my younger son, Nick. (aren't they gorgeous?!?)



This ice cream is soooo good! I hope you'll make it!

Enjoy!
Christina

24 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic! Inspired to make it Soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina,

    I haven't yet tried to make ice cream. I think I will just have to give in and try it. And yes, Nick and Jenn are gorgeous!

    I enjoy reading your blog. I have given you an award which you can view at http://wineladycooks.blogspot.com//2011/04/blog-award-share-love-and-pay-it.html

    Have a great weekend,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how could this not be fabulous??? On my list to try, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to make this ice cream. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so, so good! And yes, I think making the sauce a day ahead is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cheesecake, I love ice cream...and you paired them up and glued them together with strawberries.... incredible!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. colourful delicious strawberry ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum, what a lovely and presumably delicious homemade treat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favorite flavors. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cheesecake! This ice cream looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks SO good! Love cheesecake, love ice cream, who could ask for anything more?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Yum... I think you should come visit me and make me my own batch! hehe! Looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This ice cream sounds amazing! I love how simple the recipe is. Cheesecake ice cream is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, that ice cream looks creamy and dreamy. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your ice cream up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. my mouth filled filled with water just by reading the title and after seeing those pictures, i have got to get all those ingredients so i can make myself this treat ...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want you to be my mother-in-law. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm enjoying a slice of cheesecake right now, but combining it with ice-cream sounds like a brilliant idea. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh heaven help me, this just sounds too good! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. heart be still, that is one delicious ice cream! Nothing beats homemade ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I pureed mine and it seems I like yours better!:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delightful, refreshing and yummy!
    Thanks, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This ice cream looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina