Friday, April 8, 2011

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup



Spring has finally arrived here in New England! My Daffodils are blooming, all the snow has melted, and the thermometer is getting above 50 F! This doesn't mean I'm going to stop hauling out the crock pot and making warm and spicy soups, stews and chili! This one is a recipe I adapted from one I found on allrecipes.com. Here's my version:

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
  • 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chili peppers
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • tortilla chips
  • shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chilies, and garlic into a slow cooker.

Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.

Stir in corn and cilantro.

Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours.

Serve with tortilla chips and cheese.

Enjoy!
Christina


8 comments:

  1. This tortilla soup looks so delicious and hearty! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love the crock pot?! Such a easy way to get things cooked. I love chicken tortilla soup and this looks great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never had tortilla soup until this past winter - and I made 6 pots of it! Love the chicken, looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christina,
    I like soup even in the summer, when it's done in a crock pot it's a bonus, come home and dinner is ready. I'm saving this one for a day when I need it. Hope you have a great weekend.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I love crockpot meals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a perfect soup for winter. I love cheese in my soup, like bake croutons with cheese on my French onion soup. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Yay! I made Chicken Tortilla Soup earlier this year, but never thought to do it in the crock pot! This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing better than a really good bowel of Tortilla soup, yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina