Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hot Buttered Rum



It has been SOOOOO cold the past few nights. As soon as the sun goes down, the temperature drop is so abrupt that it puts a chill into even the best insulated homes. I decided that a nice hot cuppa would go a long way to helping to warm our bones, so I dug out this old recipe for Hot Buttered Rum. I can't remember where I got it from, but it's easy and tasty! It makes 7 or 8 servings, depending on what size mugs you use.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups (1 pt) vanilla ice cream, softened
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
For each serving you will also need:
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1 to 3 Tbsp rum


Cream together the butter and sugars


Beat together until light and fluffy


Mix in the ice cream, cinnamon and nutmeg


Pour mixture into a covered container and store in the freezer


For each serving, place about 1/2 cup of the butter mixture into a mug


Add boiling water and stir to dissolve


Stir in rum

This was so good and really hit the spot! I'm thinking about keeping some of this on hand in the freezer for the rest of the winter! I hope you'll try some!

Enjoy!
Christina

11 comments:

  1. Wow! This is so tempting! I can imagine how it smells. It is expected to snow here this night, wish I had two cups of this lovely rum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on a drinking detox until Feb., but this is definitely on the list once I'm back on the wagon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely pictures haven't made hot butter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I've always wanted to make that, and it sounds sooooo perfect for the cold weather. I think I just found my motivation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello...I found your link from Rosy+Tart...Im a fellow 10/5er.....this recipe looks lovely....Im following your blog now....happy to see other posts of yours soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like the perfect drink to make after skiing or snowshoeing with the gang gathered around the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks super delicious! great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the perfect way to warm up! Great idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness this looks so naughty - but temptingly nice :) I love buttered rum, I will have to keep this in mind for when Winter comes along in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had hot buttered rum in decades!! Your post is making me remember how wonderfully rich and delicious it was...and with our weather forecast, this may be the only thing that will warm me up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband loves rum so I think I will suprise him with your suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina