Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Apples in Puff Pastry with Gingered Cranberry Caramel Sauce



I'm having technical issues with my netbook, so I'm posting today from my old dinosaur of a lap top. They don't make 'em like they used too!

I don't always bake from scratch. As a matter of fact, I'm a huge fan of the "Semi Homemade" school of thought when it comes to making tasty things in my kitchen. This recipe is chock full of short cuts, but it's not short on flavor! I thought they were good enough for my Nana's good dishes! Take a look:

Apples in Puff Pastry with Gingered Cranberry Caramel Sauce

Ingredients
  • 2 packages Puff Pastry Shells
  • 1 can apple pie filling
  • 1 jar prepared caramel sauce
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized (candied) ginger
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
Directions
1. Bake and cool the pastry shells according to the package directions. Remove the lids and discard (or save for something else)

2. Fill each shell with some of the apple pie filling

3. Heat the caramel sauce, ginger and cranberries in a small saucepan over low heat until the mixture is hot. Serve the turnovers with the sauce.

What's your favorite kitchen shortcut ingredient?

Enjoy!
Christina

6 comments:

  1. I love it! Great easy recipe, that definitely looks like you spent all day on it! My favorite kitchen shortcut ingredient is pre-cooked chicken strips. For those last minute dinners, it can make life so much easier to whip up a fast fajita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those too Kimberly! I used them last night on a pizza!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flavors in the sauce, I'm sure this treat was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had puff pastries with all types of fillings but never tried apples. I have got to try this and for some reason, i want to try that sauce on a basic vanilla cake...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the looks of things, you won't have any trouble getting your husband to throw rose petals at your feet, even without Pop Tarts! Yum! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, I love this recipe! I'll have to run this one by the hubs... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina