Friday, February 25, 2011

Easy Granola Bars, and TAG! You're it!



My friend Kim from The Farmer's Wife blog tagged me so I'll fulfill my obligations for being "IT" first, then share this fab recipe with you! Growing up in a neighborhood that had something like 64 kids, I got quite good at a lot of the street games. Lets see how I do with this one...


Let's see...says here I've got to answers these 9 questions...fair enough. Here goes:

1.What do you refuse to eat?
Hold the Mayo! HATE mayonnaise, cottage cheese and canned tuna fish.
2. What is the most ethnic dish you have ever made?
The MOST ethnic? Damn, that's a hard one, being Italian American it would be a cop out to post something Italian, and living in a Hispanic community any of those dishes would be a cop out too...I guess it would have to be Chicken Tikka Masala. I don't like curry, but I do like other Indian dishes, and this is one I can get into!
3. Salt or Sweet?
Both! At the same time please!!!
4. What kitchen gadget can you not live without?
My Kitchen Aid stand mixer. When I get into a baking frenzy it's my best friend!
5. Last restaurant you ate at?
That wasn't fast food or a chain restaurant? I think it was the Fireside Pub in Methuen, MA...The last chain was The 99 and the last fast food was Chipotle
6. Where would you like to live if you could move anywhere in the world?
Camden, Maine. it has the wooded mountains and the ocean all in one place.
Heaven on earth to me!
7. What is your blog about?
Food. What's coming out of my kitchen and going into our bellies.
You won't see anything too fancy, but it's always delicious!
8. Do you have pets?
We have 2 dogs (Pugs from the local rescue) and two cats (adopted as kittens from a shelter)
9. What’s the last city you visited?
For work, West Greenwich, RI
For vacation, Mystic, CT

Now I have to tag 4 other bloggers:
Dionne from Try Anything Once
Kristie from Kreated by Kristie
Meghan from Butter Cream Blondi
Mina from Angel Loves Cooking
Tag!! You're it! Now it's your turn to answer these questions! :)



Now for the granola bars! You can make all kinds of substitutions to this recipe depending on what you like and what you have on hand! This is how I made them this time:

Easy Granola Bars

Ingredients
  • 3 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup flaked coconut
  • 1 cup sliced almonds (you can add a cup of whatever nuts you want here)
  • 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (you can add a cup of peanut butter, cinnamon, or butterscotch chips here if you want)
  • 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, apricots and raisins (you can add a half cup of whatever dried fruit you want here)
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.

2.In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sweetened condensed milk, butter, coconut, nuts, chocolate chips and dried fruit with your hands until well blended. Press flat into the prepared pan.

3.Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, depending on how crunchy you want them. Lightly browned just around the edges will give you moist, chewy bars. Let cool for 5 minutes, cut into squares then let cool completely before serving.

Enjoy!
Christina

14 comments:

  1. Hehe! I loved your answers! Thanks for playing Tag! Those granola bars look so good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delish. I am always looking for healthy-ier ways to get my kids fed in the am. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to have learned more about you!
    Those granola bars look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Thank you for tagging me!! You are so sweet to think of me!

    I do have a small crush on granola bars. Those crunchy ones in the little green pockets are one of my favorites. I'd rather make my own though...you know us bloggers are! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm your granola bars look so good. I love making homemade granola bars. :)

    I noticed that we hate the same foods. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not like mayo at all either!! Ew. I love these granola bars. I'm going to have to make some soon, I love having them as a quick breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been a grnaola-maker for years but have never attempted granola bars. Yours look lovely! - Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm all for easy granola bars...they make the best snacks! Yours look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun game! Those granola bars sound easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved learning some more about you! The Kitchen Aid is right up there for me after my Keurig.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love granola bars! I especially like making my own because I can play with all of my favorite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Christina
    your granola bars look oh so delicious, I would love to try a few right now. Thanks for sharing so much about yourself in your game of tag, I can't wait to see how Dionne answers the questions!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is always room for more granola....it makes such a great snack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. very healthy and looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina