Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Black Beans and Smoked Sausage Soup



I woke up this morning to find us in the midst of yet another winter storm. There is only one thing to do in a case like this and that's load up something warm and comforting in the crock pot and pray the power doesn't go out!



I foraged through the pantry and fridge and found the ingredients to make a black bean soup with kielbasa. Here's how I put it together:

Black Bean and Smoked Sausage Soup

Ingredients:
1lb smoked kielbasa sausage, sliced thin
1 onion, finely chopped
2 Tbs garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
3 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
3 15oz cans black beans


Brown sausage & onion in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off fat


In a blender, puree one can of undrained beans.


Add the pureed beans and the other 2 cans of beans (drain one of them) into the crock pot.


Add the garlic and seasonings. Salt and pepper to taste.


Add the sausage and onions and cook (low 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours)

I'm going to serve this over some cooked rice with a Caesar salad. The house smells amazing and I think the guys will appreciate this when they get home from work! Hope you're weather is better where you are! If not, I hope you're riding the storm out safe and warm!

Christina

4 comments:

  1. Ooooo this sounds so rich and GOOD. It's cold here but we don't have storms like you do so I should not complain. :( Hopefully your power stays on and it doesn't get bad.

    Thank you for sharing this! I hope you have a nice warm day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Save a bowl for me, please. I can't think of a better meal to have on a cold and snowy day. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you blended some of the beans and kept some whole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sausage and beans? What could go wrong! :-p I love that classic combo, I find myself always making something or other with those flavors during the cold months.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina