Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Monte Cristos with Baked Apple Slices



Monday night is dance class night, so I need to make quick dinners that will fill everyone up without being too heavy for me so I can move through class. Sandwiches are perfect to fit this meal time need. I sliced the apples before baking them so that they would cook faster. I just sprinkled them with some brown sugar and cinnamon and dotted the top with butter and baked at 350 F while making the sandwiches. Here's my quick and easy version of the Monte Cristos:

Monte Cristo Sandwiches

Ingredients:
  • 12 slices sandwich bread
  • butter
  • 4 Tbs sour cream(you can use mayo here, but I don't like it) mixed with 2 Tbs Dijon mustard
  • 6 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese
  • 24 thin slices of deli turkey
  • 6 Tbs flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
Directions:

Heat a skillet or griddle and spray with cooking spray.

Spread each of the slices of bread with some butter, then some of the mustard mixture. Place 4 slices of turkey and 1 slice of cheese on 6 of the prepared bread slices. Top each sandwich with one of the other bread slices each.

Blend flour, baking powder, eggs and milk. Dip each side of the sandwiches in the egg mixture and place on the griddle/skillet. brown both sides.

Serve with apples and maple syrup if you like.

Enjoy!
Christina

4 comments:

  1. That looks so yummy... And super easy too, which is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, the Monte Cristo, like the french toast of dinnertime! :) Looks tasty and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had a monte cristo, but I am a fan of sandwiches with apple in them. But I'm REALLY a fan of fresh apple slices. Like a slice of granny apple. Adds a really fresh crispness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny coincidence! Never heard of Monte Cristos for food. I posted something up on my blog today talking of the Château de Monte Cristo, next to where we live outside Paris. Wonder if it was Alexandre Dumas who invented this one?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment! I love hearing from you! I'm so glad you stopped by!
Christina